Daimler AG, parent company of German carmaker Mercedes-Benz, launched a new electric truck weeks ahead of Tesla’s electric semi. The new electric truck comes under the Mitsubishi Fuso Truck line, which is under Daimler Trucks.
At the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show on Wednesday, Mercedes-Benz parent company Daimler AG unveiled their first fully-electric truck called the E-FUSO Vision One. With the release, the German automaker is now racing ahead of Tesla’s highly anticipated electric semi, which CEO and founder Elon Musk had promised earlier this year.
“Our E-FUSO Vision One is an outlook on a feasible all-electric heavy-duty truck. It underlines our commitment to electrify our complete product range,” Marc Llistosella, President and CEO of Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation —the company under which the electric truck was launched— and Head of Daimler Trucks Asia, said in a press release.
The E-FUSO Vision One is a heavy-duty hauler capable of carrying up to 11 tons of cargo, a little lighter than that concept truck they showed back in July 2016, for a maximum range of 350 kilometers (220 miles). Aside from this, not much detail has yet been released about the electric truck.
Meanwhile, Tesla’s electric semi launch has been delayed twice now. Originally set for a September launch, Musk had to move the date to October 26. It was delayed again to November 16, due to Model 3 production concerns. Competition between Tesla and Daimler has been stiff recently, as the veteran carmaker moves to get a stronger foothold in the growing EV market.
Image: Daimler Trucks
Get a head-start into the world of work by participating in the Mercedes-Benz Bursary Programme, and transport your career with one of the world’s most successful automotive companies.
The Programme aims to harness outstanding achievers at Grade 12 and Tertiary levels into our fold of growing Talent, by offering the participant financial aid for studies as well as experiential learning.
Why a Mercedes-Benz Bursary?
· Tuition fees, meals and textbooks are paid for
· Work at Mercedes-Benz, Pretoria Head office during your vacations
· Join the MBSA Graduate Development programme after studying
Who can apply?
· South African citizens, or permanent residents
· Grade 12 learners
· Students enrolled for, or currently pursuing, full-time studies (1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th year students may apply)
· Anyone studying (or intending to study in):
- o Engineering (Mechanical & Industrial)
- o Human Resources
- o Logistics
- o Procurement/Purchasing
- o Commerce
- o IT
- o Communications
What are the criteria?
· Excellent Grade 12 results with 70% and above in Mathematics, English, Physical Science (or Accounting Stream)
· Maintenance of excellent Tertiary Results, average of 65%
Closing Date: 22 January 2016