Since its inception in 2009, the AfriSam-SAIA Sustainable Design Award has celebrated a decade of contributions to sustainable architecture and innovation. The main aim of the awards is not only to award sustainable projects, but to educate and drive a notion of sustainability.
The awards have grown into South Africa’s most prestigious sustainability awards, attracting an exciting range of entries honouring outstanding achievements in sustainable architecture and creating public awareness and debate in the built environment.
Throughout the years, the AfriSam-SAIA Sustainable Design Award has moved from being architecture and engineering focused to embracing a more multifaceted range of entries.
The award programme supports a learning journey towards regenerative design with an emphasis on sustainability, innovation, transformation and multidisciplinary efforts. Entries from all disciplines are welcome, provided they display sustainability at their core. Through these awards, green buildings and projects that are changing and improving people’s lives are acknowledged, appreciated and celebrated.
This year’s categories are:
- Sustainable Architecture
- Research in Sustainability
- Sustainable Products and Technology
- Sustainable Social Programmes
The prestigious adjudicator panel for the 2019/2020 awards programme includes:
- Dr Luyanda Mpahlwa, SAIA President, professional architect and convener
- Somers Govender, practising professional architect
- Dr Gillian Adendorff, practising senior professional architect
- Dr Philippa Tumubweinee, practising professional architect, academic and expert in sustainable architecture
- Sphephelo Mhlongo, previously awarded recipient and professional architect at the Department of Public Works
- Nkosinathi Manzana, professional engineer and Chair of the Green Building Council South Africa Board
Those looking to enter are urged to familiarise themselves with the criteria and category specifications before entering.
Submissions are free and more than one project may be entered, however separate entries are required. AfriSam and SAIA welcome all designers and practitioners in the built environment to submit their work. All 2019/2020 entries must be submitted online at www.sustainabledesign.co.za before 31 March 2020.